- · I have a long history of public service in STEM fields as tutor, mentor, science fair judge, etc. Sometimes with others, but mostly alone. At the moment I’m excited about the potential educational value of the LEGO EV3 Mindstorms robot system.
- · This system provides scores of interesting projects at an elementary level where NO TOOLS or written instructions are required. And is, none-the-less, capable of breathtakingly complex and sophisticated projects.
- · The computer programs that direct the autonomous behavior of the robots are pictorial not literal. All the programming can be done by clicking on little graphic icons.
- · Using LEGO robots, it should be possible to bring STEM learning activities to student groups that would otherwise be culturally or economically excluded.
- · One of the underserved communities is girls, another that I am especially aware of is students in the Pacific Islands, in particular those in the “US Affiliated Countries under the Compact of Free Association” such as Guam, Samoa, the Mariana Islands, Palau, the Marshall Islands, Chuuk, Kosrae, Pohnpei and Yap.
- · I am available to work with groups of any size (2 to 20) to implement a robot training program. It could be a formal class or after school activity.
William D Myers (Bill)
223 Paiko Drive
Honolulu HI 96821
- Instructor, tutor, mentor
- Science, math, computer use and programming, robotics
- Web design and coding
- PhD in Nuclear Physics from UC Berkeley
- Senior Scientist at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory (retired)
- For TV interview see: goo.gl/ZMP7tf